5 Reasons to Love Military Fitness
I have pretty much "grown up" on military bases for most of my adult life. Being married to a United States Marine opens your eyes quickly to the importance of being and staying fit for life. I began working on Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island in 2007 as a Cycling instructor. I remember my first day getting up in front of about 30 drill instructors to teach a class. From there things evolved and I became more and more confident taking on different types of classes and personal training. Working among our US military personnel is truly like no other experience. So here are my top 5 reasons that I love working with our troops!
1. The Marines/Sailors/Airmen/Soldiers are HUNGRY, motivated, and ready to get things done. They come in with a mission and will do what it takes to get it done. They are taught to be focused and disciplined.
2. You'll never hear much whining. Our troops have that focused, disciplined mentality to accomplish the mission, and rarely do they complain, whine, or have a bad attitude. This is a trainer's DREAM!! I have come to the point in my life where if I do end up getting a client who is not dedicated, has a bad attitude, or whines, I will cancel our contract and refund their money. It's just not worth it to me to work with anything less than 100% motivated! Our Marines and military personnel are usually committed to a cause and ready to work.
3. Military fitness is FUNCTIONAL. It applies to different settings and often can be used outside of the gym. Box jumps, pull-ups, pushups, and moves as such serve an athlete well in other areas of life. It's important for our troops to be in tip top shape for whatever tasks are given to them. Having a good functional fitness base is truly helpful.
4. Military fitness is INTENSE (if you like that kind of thing) Running hard, swimming fast, swinging heavy kettle bells, doing 100 pushups- this is all an example of high intensity training. This kind of working out will make you fitter, stronger, and faster no doubt. The boost of serotonin and endorphins will leave athletes with a naturally induced mood booster. Looking and feeling fitter builds confidence.
5. Lastly, I am super passionate about our United States Military and what they represent. They are the reason we all sleep well at night. Their sacrifice, courage, and commitment is undying. I am honored to lived and worked among them for over 26 years. Some of my closest and dearest friends are retired or active duty Marines, Sailors, Airmen, or Soldiers. If you haven't noticed I support our troops 100%. I am always honored to work with those who are willing to give their life for this great country. I understand their lifestyle, their struggles, and their world because I have lived it for so long.