5 Tips for Triathlon Training While on Vacation
So you have a race or two coming up and it's Spring Break. You want to spend time with your family, eat good food, get a few workouts in, and RELAX. But you also don't want to do nothing in the way of training, especially if you have worked hard up until this point. I mean, it's USE IT OR LOSE IT! You may not have access to all of your regular means to working out such as your gym, your bike, your pool. So here are some tips to keep you on track while you are away from home!
1. Use this week as a recovery week. You can still do some nice long runs, swims, or rides, depending on what equipment and facilities are available, but don't expect to get a lot done. It's your vacation! Decide ahead of time what workouts you will do and plan accordingly.
2. You can always run. This requires zero equipment and it's pretty easy to sneak out in the early morning and get in a decent run. I find that running in a new place or along the coast is super invigorating. I stick my phone on my arm band and take some beautiful pictures of the sun rising, or whatever else moves me at that time in the early morning.
3. This is a great time to STRETCH or do YOGA or PiYo. You can always bring Beachbody On Demand with you on vacation. You can easily stream workouts to your computer, laptop, iPad, or smart phone. This only costs $8 a month and it's super convenient and not at all expensive!! It will give you access to literally hundreds of workouts that you can do anywhere! I HIGHLY recommend the PiYo or Yoga Retreat for endurance athletes! Want to get it now? Then click HERE!
4. Find a nearby gym. If you are close to a bigger city, chances are you can always find a gym and buy a day pass or a one week pass. Sometimes your hotel will have an agreement with a local gym nearby to give hotel guests a discount at their facility. You can always get some strength training in or go there and ride the Spinner bike. If you are staying at one of the larger hotel chains, chances are that there is a small fitness center in the building and often these have cardio equipment such as treadmills or bikes that you can take advantage of.
5. Where there is a will there is a way. Hold yourself accountable by deciding ahead of time what you will do for workouts. Don't just throw in the towel. Go for a run or a swim. Don't give up on good nutrition either. If you are eating out a lot, be mindful of your portions and don't overeat. Allow yourself a few treats throughout the week but don't be eating huge desserts each night. It's super easy to put on 5 extra pounds in a weeks time. You have worked too hard to let this happen.